Wednesday, January 4, 2017

MY DAD, Appreciate One Day At A Time

The last time I posted on my blog, I, for the most part, considered my life to be just about perfect.  I was watching my grandson a couple times a week, visiting my folks at least once a week with him, and enjoying a good life filled with family, friends, volunteering and an awesome church life.  Then the latter part of May rolled around and things took a very stunning change.  My dad, who had suffered with Pulmonary Fibrosis for over a couple years reached it's final stage.  Daddy said on our Thursday visit that he felt really awful, worse than he had felt throughout his ordeal.  Mom tried to make a doctor appointment, but was unable to and was told that if he continued to feel bad, bring him to the ER.  She did, after some treatments, he was sent home feeling somewhat better. 

Mark and I had a friend's wedding reception to attend on Saturday in Indianapolis.  Knowing Daddy had been going back and forth to the ER for months now, we attended the reception.  On our way home, sister Kathy told me that Daddy was in the hospital after feeling bad all day Friday and decided to check into Baptisit Hospital in Lexington.  After getting home late Saturday from Indy, I made it up to the hospital Sunday.  They were testing him out and he was trying to watch the French Open Tennis Tourney on TV.  He was still being his ornery self and when the hospital chaplain came in, he told him that he didn't put a lot of emphasis on all that, but let him say a prayer for him.  I was at a loss, at what to do to get my dad to make his profession of faith in Jesus and accept his salvation for his sins from God's precious son.

I have to interject here that I had been studying the book of Revelation at our BSF study each week and it had made it crystal clear that  God was giving us the free will to make the decision of acceptance or rejection of His son, Jesus Christ.  Because Daddy and I travelled to the Regional basketball tournament in Winchester, I took that opportunity with just the two of us in the car to explain the eternal weight of that decision.  That was a tough talk to have with him and after listening to me for some time, he finally said that he didn't want to talk about it any more.  Kind of how he dismissed the hospital chaplain just weeks into the his future. 

Back to our time at the hospital in May, things starting looking really bad as results of his tests were coming in to his doctor.  The conversation wasn't sounding good as he explained things to us.  Daddy said that he had hoped to make it to January so he and Mom could celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary.  His doctor paused and said, "Let's just appreciate one day at a time."  Guess we all knew what that meant, as silence filled the room.

As this story will continue, I'll wish you a great day in this new year of 2017.  I've been recently spending time back in hospitals these past two weeks as a friend of mine is ill.  I was brought back to the computer today because I'm trying to find directions to a friends house tonight.  I hope by the next time I get on here, I'll have the opportunity to continue my dad's story.  In the meantime, stay warm, safe and enjoy your blessings.  luv, Susan  

No comments: