Sunday, March 27, 2016

BECAUSE HE LIVES

I just read my UpperRoom devotion with the sunrise peeking through my window. This is my second attempt at a blog.  Yesterday's disappeared.  I am wishing you a beautiful Easter Sunday.  I have been enjoying my special Easter music this week.  My favorite is "New Again" performed by Brad Paisley and Sara Evans, an emotional conversation between Jesus and Mary prior to the crucifixion. I've seen it on YouTube many times, with the visual from The Passion.  Jesus Christ Superstar is also my go to for Holy Week.  I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, but having seen the rock opera in the eighth grade at Memorial Coliseum, it's always been special for me.

This is always my favorite time of year, preparing for Easter and Springtime weather and enjoying basketball, as the Cats make their final charge toward the Final Four.  Sadly, this year, UK finished up the first weekend of the three week tournament and we are currently hoping we have some players left to help the new recruits out next year.  Our women also ended the second week.  Oh, well.  It is still my favorite time of year, just not quite as exciting.

This morning at church, we will spend the first hour singing our favorite hymns while we decorate a cross with beautiful cut flowers.  At the end of the hour, we'll have a "living cross" at the altar and then have our Easter sermon.  This will be our minister, Evan's last Easter Sunday, he and wife, Emma, will be moving on at the end of May.  We've had four ministers during my seven years at our little country church and they've all been awesome.  Love them all!

I'm looking forward to Easter dinner and hopefully an egg hunt at my sister, Pam's in Lexington.  It's a fun time for all the family.  MJ is quite the entertainer and we have other little ones that will enjoy this annual tradition.

I've been able to read through an additional Bible Study on the crucifixion of Jesus and simply wanted to share one stunning event that took place as Jesus died on the cross.  The curtain that was made according  to God's instructions given to Moses in the book of Exodus hung in the Tabernacle of the Temple. It was elaborately woven with purple, scarlet and blue yarn and measured sixty feet long and twenty feet wide.  Because of the elaborate designs worked into the fabric, it was as thick as a man's palm.  

At the moment when Jesus exclaimed "It is finished" from the cross, this massive curtain was torn from top to bottom.  It had been the barrier that kept God's presence separate from the priests and the Jewish people.  As this barrier was now removed, because of Jesus' sacrifice for us, we are now able to be with God.  Jesus can now live in us.  God dwells with His people, through His Holy Son, our precious lamb.  

I wish you an awesome Easter.  Enjoy the baskets, the bunnies, the chocolate and the egg hunts.  And take time to thank the Lamb, that's what Easter is all about.  luv, Susan      

No comments: